Measuring Tips – Finding Your Fit For Custom Apparel
Sometimes it’s difficult to know which size to order. To help you take the guesswork out of your decision, we are going to provide you with measuring tips. We will outline: how to measure chest circumference, length, and sleeve measurement, as well as offer you some additional tips.
How to choose the proper chest measurement:
Ideally, you will have a friend nearby to help you attain your measurements. However, you can still get a good measurement on your own with a little time. Just remember to measure twice! Write your results down and then take the average of both numbers.
Stand up straight with your arms hanging at your sides. Wrap the tape measure under your armpits across the largest part of your chest. Stand in your natural posture and breathe normally. If you like a loose fitting garment, simply add an inch to the measurement, and record your number. You are one step closer to choosing your custom apparel!
How to determine the correct length of your garment:
Put the measuring tape at the base of the back of your neck and measure down your back to the point where the shirt will end. If you like your garments a bit longer, then add to your number. Also, if you have a larger belly, add two inches to your measurement. Lastly, round up to the nearest inch.
How to measure for spot-on sleeve length:
Begin at the nape of your neck right in the center and measure to the end of your shoulder at the top of your arm. Then, bending the arm at a 90-degree angle, measure from the shoulder to just before your wrist bone (for long sleeved garments) and add the two numbers together.
Some additional tips you may find helpful:
- If you do not have a flexible measuring tape, you can use a piece of string and then lay it on a ruler to determine the measurement.
- To get a more accurate calculation take off layers when measuring.
- Keep your measuring tape snug, but not tight.
- Do not hold your breath when measuring.
- If you do not have someone to help you get your measurements, you may use your favorite t-shirt. Lay it flat and measure it from seam to seam across the chest on the front side only. To determine the length of your garment, measure from the back collar to the bottom hemline.
If you need additional help in determining your size, give one of our friendly Customer Service Representatives a call at 1-800-440-1210, Monday through Saturday from 9 AM – 9PM EST.